Approved Green Card: Can I Travel?

My green card application has been approved – I need to travel tomorrow – what do I do?

We often see cases where the Adjustment of Status (green card) application is approved within one or two days after the interview and the client is all set to travel and does not have time to wait for receipt of the actual green card. What to do? We recommend making an INFOPASS appointment at the local USCIS district office to obtain a temporary green card stamp, or I-551, in the passport. The I-551 stamp IS a green card. All that is required is to take into the INFOPASS appointment a valid passport, a print-out of the USCIS email notification indicating approval of the case and a copy of the fee receipt for the form I-485. The I-551 stamp will allow entry into the U.S. as a permanent resident. With any luck, the actual green card should be waiting in the mail when you get home.


Article categories: Fiancé/Marriage/ Family, General Immigration, Travel

About the Author