J-2 Waiver Age Out

Age-out J-2 waiver – Ask Dept. of State for help!

If you entered the U.S. as the dependent child of a J-1 visa holder to whom the 2-year home residence requirement is attached, you, too, will be subject to that 2-year home residence requirement. However, once you turn 21 you will no longer be a J-2 dependent – you will have “aged out”. In these cases, and depending on your facts, you can ask the U.S. Department of State to act as an Interested Government Agency to petition the Waiver Review Office on your behalf to remove the 2-year requirement because you are no longer a J-2. After age 21 you are no longer considered a dependent and are no longer subject to the waiver requirements that apply to your parent.

Article categories: J-1 Waivers

About the Author